Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Delaware Small Claims Courts

Created by FindLaw's team of legal writers and editors.

In Delaware, the Delaware Code Annotated, Title 10, Sections 9301-9590 rules that the Justice of the Peace Court handles both civil and criminal cases. Civil cases handled in the Justice of the Peace Court are those involving money debts, property damages, or return of personal property. The amount of damages which may be sought in the Justice of the Peace Court is limited to $15,000.

  • Starting an Action
    Learn how to start an action in the Justice of the Peace Court to collect a debt, recover items of property, obtain compensation for property damage, or obtain possession of a rental unit.
  • Justice of the Peace Courts From Delaware State Courts.

Last updated on 09/22/05

Next Steps

Contact a qualified attorney to help you with preparing for and dealing with going to court.

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution